Legal Information and Privacy [01/11/2018]
Terms & Conditions
These Terms & Conditions cover your access to and use of Social Hiking (the "Service"), and any information, text, graphics, or other materials uploaded, downloaded or appearing on this website (referred to as "Content"). Your use of this site confirms your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms.
- You must be 13 years or older to use this Service.
- You are responsible for any activity that occurs under your username.
- You are solely responsible for your conduct and any data, text, information, graphics, photos, profiles, and links that you submit, post or display on this Service.
- You retain your rights to any Content you submit, but you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in order to provide The Service.
- You understand that if you do not have the right to submit Content for such use, it may subject you to liability. We will not be responsible or liable for any use of your Content by us in accordance with these Terms. You represent and warrant that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the rights to any Content that you submit.
- You must not abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate or intimidate other Service users.
- You may not use the Service for any illegal or unauthorised purpose.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the Service.
- You must not transmit any worms or viruses or any code of a destructive nature.
- You must not publish other people's personal information without permission, unless that information is available publically elsewhere.
- You must not, in the use of the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws).
- Any content you publish on the Service must not abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated
Terms of Service
The Service we provide is constantly evolving and may change from time to time without prior notice to you. In addition we may stop, temporarily or permanently, providing the Service (or any features) to you or to users generally and may not be able to provide you with prior notice. Should this occur before the end of a paid subscription, you will receive a pro-rata refund of unused months.
We reserve the right at all times (but will not have an obligation) to remove or refuse to distribute any Content on the Service and to terminate users or reclaim usernames.
You confirm that all apps and social media accounts linked to your Social Hiking account belong to you. If you link other data to your maps, you acknowledge that you may become a Data Controller of that information and that you require the appropriate permissions to do so.
This website is provided "as is" without any representations or warranties. Social Hiking makes no representations or warranties in relation to this Service or Content provided on this website.
Social Hiking does not warrant that:
- all parts of the Service will constantly be available, although we target 99% uptime.
- the Content on this Service is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading
Social Hiking will not be liable to you in relation to the Content of this Service:
- for any direct, indirect, special or consequential loss
- for any business losses, loss of revenue, loss of contracts or business relationships, loss of reputation or goodwill, or loss or corruption of information or data
By using this website, you agree that the exclusions and limitations of liability set out herein are reasonable. If you do not think they are reasonable, you must not use this website.
If any provision of this website disclaimer is, or is found to be, unenforceable under applicable law, that will not affect the enforceability of the other provisions of this disclaimer.
Your privacy is important to Social Hiking. This privacy statement provides information about the personal information that we collect, and the ways in which we uses that personal information.
Social Hiking, the controller, may collect and use the following kinds of personal information:
- basic account information such as name, country, email address and username in order to secure and provide you with access to Services
- social media timelines, location information and other related data is collected when you choose to connect devices and apps to Social Hiking
- payment information is collected when you sign up and use the Services. We do not store payment card details
- to provide you with good service, you can choose to provide us with contact details so we can respond to your support requests
- anonymous website usage statistics are collected to enable us to review and improve our website.
We will process your data in order to fulfil your contract with us, for example if you request web services from us. We may also process your data in order to comply with legal obligations, such as tax law. In certain circumstances we may process your data if you have given us consent, such as requesting that we keep you updated with news and developments. Social Hiking may use your personal information to:
- administer, improve and provide this Service
- personalise the Service for you
- enable your access to and use of the Service
- send you marketing communications (when you have opted-in to receive such communications)
- send you important announcements & administrative messages
In addition to the disclosures reasonably necessary for the purposes identified elsewhere above, Social Hiking may disclose your personal information to the extent that it is required to do so by law, in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and in order to establish, exercise or defend its legal rights.
Any location data imported into Social Hiking via your chosen location sources, or via media from other services based on your settings, will be stored in perpetuity or until you delete the data. Your location data will only be public according to your settings.
For any media accounts you link, Social Hiking will collect information about media you have uploaded, whether that media is linked to a Social Hiking map or not. With the exception of protected tweets, Social Hiking will only import and store details of private media at the time of import if you have explicitly given us permission. Your media is only made public on the site if it is linked to a specific point on a public map. We may use media publicly available on the site for other features, however we will always link back to the original media and give attribution.
By linking a media account, you grant Social Hiking a worldwide non-exclusive royalty free license to publish your media on Social Hiking with attribution.
If you have granted Social Hiking write access to a third-party account, we will only perform actions on your behalf that you have explicitly requested.
You have the right to inspect your data and to request to correct or delete it. You also have the right to request to obtain a machine-readable subset of your data to store it elsewhere. Where the processing of your personal data is based on consent, you are at all times entitled to withdraw your consent. Until there is an easily accessible mechanism for removing your location data, media and other data from Social Hiking, you can contact email@example.com to request for any or all of your data to be removed. We request that any complaints or concerns would initially be directed to us at this address, so we can take any remedial steps we can.
You have the right as a UK resident to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office, which regulates and supervises the use of personal data in the UK, via their helpline on 0303 123 1113.
Social Hiking is hosted in the EU and will take reasonable precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
Social Hiking may share your information with third party sub-processors who provide services to us to assist with the provision of Services. The third party sub-processors are listed below:
|Housing Online Ltd||UK||Support, administration and delivery of services|
|Zendesk||United States of America||Helpdesk software|
|AWS Europe||Luxembourg||Hosting and database servers based in the EU|
|Google Ireland Ltd||Republic of Ireland||Email system and internal document storage|
Details of the sub-processors used by our sub-processors, as well as links to security and privacy statements, have been detailed in the below. Sub-processors are only documented if they are in addition to those detailed above.
Housing Online: uses Slack for team collaboration (https://slack.com/gdpr).
Personal information and Content that you submit for publication on this Service will be published on the internet and may be available around the world.
This website contains links to other websites. Social Hiking is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party.
Social Hiking is owned by Sarah Pascall, 16 Quartly Drive, Taunton, Somerset.
Social Hiking respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects users of the Service to do the same. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law and are properly provided to us. If you believe that your Content has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We reserve the right to remove Content alleged to be infringing without prior notice and at our sole discretion. In appropriate circumstances, Social Hiking will also terminate a user's account if the user is determined to be a repeat infringer.
The copyright of this Service and it's Content is owned by, or licensed to Social Hiking.
Social Hiking grants to you a worldwide non-exclusive royalty free revocable license to view this Service and to copy, store and print from this Service for your own personal and non-commercial use.
In general, we can grant you a non-exclusive, revocable, royalty-free license (with no-right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, publish, transmit, display and distribute Content on this Service, but not the underlying code. To request a license please contact email@example.com.
We may revise these Terms from time to time. If the revision, in our sole discretion, is material we will notify you. By continuing to access or use the Service after those revisions become effective, you agree to be bound by the revised Terms.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.